Turn Your Fullback Into a Quarterback
Healthy Game Day Recipes
- 6 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Olive oil
- Ancho chili powder or paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 15 oz. can refried beans
- 1 tsp minced chipotle pepper in adobo (optional)
- 1 C fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- 2 ears corn, husked and silk removed
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 C sliced black olives
- 3/4 C shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3/4 C (light) sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Lime juice, to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350Â° with rack in center position.
- Cut each tortilla into chip-sized wedges and arrange in single layers on 2 baking sheets. Lightly brush wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder or paprika and coarse salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and turn on broiler.
- Lightly brush corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Place corn under broiler for about 5 minutes. Turn corn over and broil for
3-5 more minutes, until corn is nicely charred in spots. Remove from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. Take a kitchen towel and hold ear vertically on cutting board while
using a kitchen knife to slice kernels off ear.
- Combine refried beans, cumin, and chipotle pepper (if using) in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined. Taste the mixture and add more cumin or chipotle pepper if necessary. Spray an 11” x 7” baking dish with cooking spray and spread bean mixture evenly into dish. Spread salsa evenly over beans. Combine corn kernels and scallions; spoon corn mixture evenly over salsa. Sprinkle cheese over corn mixture. Bake at 350Â°Â for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. While the mixture bakes, mix the sour cream or yogurt with lime juice to taste. Top with black olives and sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and veggies.
Loaded Sconnie Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4” wedges
- 1Â egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 strips of turkey bacon
- 2/3 C shredded (low fat) cheddar cheese
- 1-2 scallions, dark green parts thinly sliced
- (Light) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450Â°.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cut potatoes into wedges and place on baking sheet. Brush potato wedges with the egg white. Mix together salt, pepper, and spices and sprinkle seasoning evenly over potatoes. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they begin to get lightly golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Cook turkey bacon in a skillet until almost crisp. Let cool on a paper towel lined plate, then chop the turkey bacon into bits.
- Sprinkle sweet potato wedges with cheese and turkey bacon bits and return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve with sour cream on the side.