Healthy German Apple Cake
This cake is much healthier than typical German apple cake recipes because, instead of 1/2 cup of oil and 1 cup of sugar, it substitutes two bananas, cutting out half of the oil and sugar of a typical German apple cake recipe. This cuts the calories of the whole cake by 1,700 calories, without sacrificing texture, moisture or flavor!
Do not forget the whole wheat flour which gives the cake a boost in not only fiber and minerals but healthy richness as well.Â I like to serve it on cool evenings with a hot cup of tea – or even as a surprise for Saturday breakfast. The kids will enjoy having cake, while you know they are getting vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants from the wholesome fresh fruits and whole grains.
Preparation time: 30 minutes, Baking: 45 minutes, Servings: 16
Â½ C vegetable oil
1 C brown sugar
2 mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
Â½ tsp salt
1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Â¼ tsp ginger
Â¼ tsp nutmeg
4 C chopped peeled apples
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F and grease cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, vegetable oil, brown sugar, mashed bananas and vanilla extract for 1 minute.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine salt, unbleached all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until spices and baking soda are dispersed evenly.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir together. Fold in chopped apples.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let it cool on a wire cooling rack for 1 hour before serving.